FHS Homeless Vigil

Local+News+thumbnail+

Erica Roman

Local News thumbnail

Avery Redfern, Reporter

The Fayetteville High School Student Council will be hosting its 21 annual Homeless Vigil this Thursday and Friday, Dec 5 and 6. The vigil will be held from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Thursday and 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. on Friday on the northern side of the building between phases two and three. Students are invited to spend the night in makeshift housing outside of FHS in order to spread awareness about homeless students in Fayetteville Public Schools.
The event was created by the FHS Student Council to raise funds for the FPS Families in Transition (FIT) Program and spread awareness about student homelessness. There are around 11,000 homeless students in Arkansas alone. The program hopes to aid these students with their school and home lives.
The FIT Program, assisted by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, provides resources for students who lack fixed nighttime residence. It also helps students and families with transportation, enrollment and school meals. All the money made through the event will be given to the program. Just last year, the vigil raised around $10,000.
In addition, the vigil will take nonperishable food item donations from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. on December 6. Raising money for the vigil will also be assisted by 10 students will shave their heads during the Dec Pep Rally if they are able to raise $500 for the vigil.
Those interested in participating can visit the @fayetteville_stuco Instagram page for more information. The Fayetteville Student Council hopes to see you this Thursday.