Off-Site parking spots face city regulations

The+overcrowded+student+parking+lot+has+been+a+problem+now+for+a+while.+The+off-site+parking+might+be++shut+down+because+of+city+regulations.+

The overcrowded student parking lot has been a problem now for a while. The off-site parking might be  shut down because of city regulations.

The overcrowded student parking lot has been a problem now for a while. The off-site parking might be shut down because of city regulations.

Amelia Southern

Amelia Southern

Amelia Southern

Laney Hoggatt, Co Editor-in-Chief

Parking has been a reoccurring issue at the high school, especially as the student population at the school continues to grow. There are only 442 parking spots provided by the school, and with about 2,800 students the limited parking has become a growing issue. Currently, the school gives out parking spots based on a raffle. Seniors are typically guaranteed parking spots unless the number of seniors requesting a spot is greater than the number of spots and the remaining spots are raffled off to juniors.

The raffle typically leaves a significant amount of student drivers without spots. This is a concerning issue because many students above the age of 16 drive themselves to school. Until this point, the students without school parking spots would buy off-site sports in the areas surrounding the school. These off-site spots are often very expensive especially depending on how close the spot is to the school. Spots range around $500 yearly. This is 10 times more than what the school charges students. Despite the hefty price, many parents pay the money so that their child has a way to get to school.

In Aug., about 50 property owners of the off-site parking lots received letters saying they cannot provide parking unless they have permits. On Sept. 28, parents of the students that park on off-site spots received emails stating that the city is shutting down off-site parking. According to the Fayetteville City Planning Director Andrew Garner, the off-site parking is being shut down because the lots have received several complaints and because the sites have begun to place gravel thus forming parking lots which are against city regulations. The city has said that the parking sites can continue if they apply for a permit.

On Nov. 13, the Planning Commission approved permits for two off-site privately owned parking. The sites have provided parking to high school for many years. The permits were approved in a vote seven to zero.

The school is working on solving the parking situation so that fewer students rely on off-site parking spots. The school sent out a survey about parking earlier in the semester. They asked questions about how students go to school and when they arrived or left. Potential solutions were presented to the school board. According to Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, the owner of 324 S. Buchanan Ave., Rich Grubbs, said he would be willing to think about giving his 25 spaces depending on the offer.

Laney Hoggatt, Co Editor-in-Chief

I am a senior. This is my third year reporting and second year being an editor. I typically write features articles. I am the choir president and am in...