Swim to help

Students for Children’s and the swim team raises money for NWA Children's Hospital

Students for Children's

Laney Hoggatt, Co Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday, Oct. 10, students for children’s hosted a 24-hour relay swimathon at the Fayetteville Athletic Club to help raise money for the Northwest Arkansas Children’s Hospital. The FHS swim team also participated in the event, with members signing up for swimming slots. The swimathon fell on a very cold and rainy day, but that did not stop the swimmers. They raised over $9,000 and the swim team, as well as volunteers, swam over 100,000 yards. The funds raised will be used for the Christmas toy drive, book drive and mobiles for baby cribs. In addition, funds will be used to support programs provided by the Children’s Hospital like programs that include assistance for travel and lodging for families and providing a comforting and fun environment for the children inside the hospital.

“The money our club raised for the hospital is actually going to be used for buying presents for the kids for Christmas,” senior Cade Sarkin said. “The hospital can hold around 250 kids so it is great that we got all this money to make their holiday even better and so we can hopefully put a smile on their faces.”

The swimathon idea originated from the English Channel Challenge for Children’s. The swim is a solo swim challenge crossing the English Channel. This was established in 2010 by the Sarkin family. Steffan Sarkin established the English Channel Challenge after his son, Noah Sarkin, suffered an injury and was treated by the Children’s Hospital in Little Rock. In 2009, Noah suffered a head fracture while practicing soccer. The injury caused a ruptured artery and a CT scan showed that a significant amount of blood was forming. He was immediately taken to the Children’s Hospital in Little Rock. Amazingly, Noah had a successful recovery and was able to return to his old activities and is currently a junior at the University of Kansas. Since establishing the challenge, Steffan has participated in seven annual swims and in 2017, he successfully crossed the channel.

“My dad actually came up with the 24-hour swim fundraiser,” Cade Sarkin said. “He came up with this idea to swim in a pool instead of open water and we thought that the club could help out, promote it, and join in as well.”

This year, the NWA Children’s Hospital opened. The hospital was able to be built due to sponsors like Wal-Mart, Tyson and J.B. Hunt. According to the NWA Children’s hospital website, the hospital is 233,613 square feet and provides inpatient beds, emergency care, surgical services, diagnostic services, and clinical space. The hospital also includes gardens and trails for patients and their families as well as a helipad and a refueling station for their Angel One Transportation. This new hospital is a valuable new addition to Northwest Arkansas because before families would have to go to Little Rock for the nearest Children’s Hospital. At all Children’s Hospital locations, they refuse to turn away any children and stay open every day for 24 hours.

Last year, Fayetteville Students for Children’s was established by Cade Sarkin after the building of the hospital was announced. Members are able to volunteer at the hospital. They have done fundraisers like toy drives and book drives and given the donations to the hospital. They are currently asking for packaged toy donations from students and families. For students interested in joining the club or want to know more about ways to help out, follow their Instagram (@studentsforchildrens). The club is made up of five officers. Cade Sarkin is president. Vice President is senior Kamilla Sarvestani. Junior Sydney Kincaid is the club secretary and senior Sheil Sharma is treasurer. The club parliamentarian is senior Chloe Rubiano. The club sponsor is AP English Language and Composition teacher Lori Mizanin, located in room 1906, and typically meet in phase three open project learning area (OPL). The club meets in group three and their next meeting is Nov. 16.

“We will most likely be doing a toy drive this year for Christmas and we will also be going to give gifts to the kids at the hospital if we are able to,” Cade Sarkin said.

If anyone is interested in either more information or would like to donate, visit englishchannelsolo.com.

“My goal is to increase awareness of the hospital in the community while also fundraising and volunteering for them as well,” Cade Sarkin said.

Laney Hoggatt, Co Editor-in-Chief

I am a senior. This is my third year reporting and second year being an editor. I typically write features articles. I am the choir president and am in...