Students can start on a few of these opportunities in the season of scholarships

CC0 Creative Commons
Free for commercial use 
No attribution required

CC0 Creative Commons Free for commercial use No attribution required

janjf93

janjf93

janjf93

Austin Liu, News Editor, Reporter

The word abundant is just the beginning of how to describe the breadth and multitude of a search for college scholarships. These scholarships often are in conjunction with college applications that seniors are submitting in the fall semester and share some similarities with college applications in the steps and requirements to apply for them. They carry considerable significance because they are a principal source of funding for a college education, the cost of which seems so overwhelming and daunting for many students and their families. Some scholarship and grant awards are sponsored by the Department of Education of state and national governments by financial need of students and their families, and others are available with particular requirements to students from colleges to which students are applying. More information about these types of financial aid can be obtained online by visiting the websites of the Department of Education state and national governments and colleges and contacting their financial aid offices. Still, students can start on the applications for others offered by private companies and organizations. To assist with the student search for some of these scholarships, listed below are some of the more common and competitive private scholarships open to seniors for their college education with substantial financial aid awards.

Ten of some of the large college scholarships for high school seniors:

1. ScholarshipPoints.com Scholarships

Award Amount: $1,000 Monthly, $10,000 Quarterly

Application Submission Due Date: Monthly

Description: Each year, the ScholarshipPoints.com awards more than $100,000 in scholarships to current and future college students. ScholarshipPoints.com awards three or more $1,000 scholarships every month and a $10,000 scholarship every three months to ScholarshipPoints.com members. Members earn points by doing things like taking online surveys, playing online games, and referring friends to the program. Members “spend” their points to enter drawings.  Membership is free. (Super Scholar)

More Information:

$1,000 Monthly: https://www.scholarshippoints.com/rules/official-rules-for-2018-monthly-points-based-sweepstakes/

$10,000 Quarterly: https://www.scholarshippoints.com/rules/official-rules-for-2018-quarterly-points-based-10000-sweepstakes/

1. Dell Scholars Program

Award Amount: $20,000

Application Submission Due Date: December 1, 2018

Description: The Dell Scholars Program awards 300 scholarships annually. Scholarships include laptops, text book credits, and up to $20,000 for tuition and fees. Since 2004, they have provided students with over $60 million in college scholarships and support services. The program targets low-income students who have at least a 2.4 GPA and also can demonstrate that they are driven and motivated. Students can begin applying in November before the deadline. (Super Scholar)

More Information: https://www.dellscholars.org/scholarship/

1. Coca-Cola Scholars Program Scholarship

Award Amount: $20,000

Application Submission Due Date: October 31, 2018

Description: The Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation has a few scholarship opportunities for students. Each year over 1,400 students receive scholarships of $3,45 million. The Coca-Cola Scholars Program Scholarship awards 150 students with an achievement-based scholarship of $20,000. Applicants must be current high school (or home-schooled) seniors attending school in the United States who are planning on attending an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution. They must also have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. (SuperScholar)

More Information: https://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/apply/#page

1. U.S. Bank Scholarship

Award Amount: $5,000 Scholarships, $10,000 Scholarship, $20,000 Scholarship

Application Submission Due Date: Oct. 26, 2018

Description: Students enter for a chance to win a $20,000 scholarship. (Time: Money)

More Information: https://www.usbank.com/community/financial-education/scholarship.html

1. National Honor Society Scholarship

Award Amount: $3,200 Scholarships, $5,625 Scholarships, $25,000 Scholarship

Application Submission Due Date: Dec. 7, 2018

Description: The National Honor Society Scholarship is available for NHS members making a difference in their schools and communities through leadership, service, and character. (Time: Money)

More Information: https://www.nhs.us/students/the-nhs-scholarship/

1. Doodle for Google

Award Amount: $30,000

Application Submission Due Date: March

Description: Doodle for Google is an annual art competition open to students grades k-12. 250 doodles from across the country are chosen by a panel of Google employees based on which doodles they feel best represent the theme for the year. There are 50 state winners, five national winners, and one grand prize winner. The grand prize is a $30,000 college scholarship and a $50,000 Google for Education technology grant for the winner’s school. (SuperScholar)

More Information: https://doodles.google.com/d4g/

1. Jack Kent Cooke Foundation College Scholarship

Award Amount: $40,000

Application Submission Due Date: November 20, 2018

Description: The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation College Scholarship Program is a prestigious undergraduate scholarship program available to high-achieving high school seniors with financial need who seek to attend and graduate from the nation’s best four-year colleges and universities. Students must plan to graduate from a U.S. high school in the spring, intend to enroll in an accredited four-year college beginning in the fall, have a minimum 3.5 GPA, and have standardized test scores in the top 15%: SAT combined critical reading and math score of 1200 or above and/or ACT composite score of 26 or above. Students must also demonstrate significant financial need; applicants with a family income up to $95,000 will be considered. For more information or to apply, please visit the scholarship provider’s website. (Scholarships.com)

More Information: https://www.jkcf.org/our-scholarships/college-scholarship-program/

1. Davidson Fellows Scholarship

Award Amount: $10,000 Scholarships, $25,000 Scholarships, $50,000 Scholarships

Application Submission Due Date: February 13, 2019

Description: The Davidson Fellow Scholarship is open to extraordinary students 18 or under. Students must submit collegiate level projects in the categories of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Literature, Music, Philosophy and Outside the Box. The work must be an accomplishment that recognized as meaningful and as a positive contribution to society. The grand prize is a scholarship of $50,000. $25,000 and $10,000 scholarships are also awarded. (SuperScholar)

More Information: http://www.davidsongifted.org/Fellows-Scholarship

1. Google Science Fair

Award Amount: $50,000 Scholarship, Scholarships of Different Amounts Offered by Other Organizations

Application Submission Due Date: December 12, 2018

Description: The Google Global Science fair is an exciting science competition open to students ages of 13 through 18. The students must formulate a hypothesis, perform an experiment, and present their results. This is a global competition open to students is nearly every country. While the grand prize is $50,000, other finalists have a chance to win various prizes and scholarships starting at $10,000. (SuperScholar)

More Information: https://www.googlesciencefair.com/

1. Regeneron Science Talent Search

Award Amount: Scholarships of Different Amounts from $2,000 Scholar Awards to $250,000 Finalist Award

Application Submission Due Date: Nov. 14, 2017

Description: The Regeneron Science Talent Search (Regeneron STS) is the oldest and most prestigious science and mathematics competition for high school seniors, providing an important forum for original research that is recognized and reviewed by a national jury of professional scientists. Alumni have made extraordinary contributions to science and have earned many of the world’s most distinguished science and math honors, including thirteen Nobel Prizes, eleven National Medals of Science and two Fields Medals. Annually, over 1,800 high school seniors from around the country accept the challenge of conducting independent science, math or engineering research and completing an entry for the Regeneron Science Talent Search. The Regeneron Science Talent Search recognizes 300 students as scholars and awards their schools each year and invites 40 student finalists to Washington, D.C. to participate in final judging, display their work to the public, and meet with notable scientists and government leaders. Each year, Regeneron STS scholars and finalists compete for $3.1 million in awards. (Regeneron Science Talent Search)

These ten listed scholarships are sponsored by private organizations. Information in detail about other available scholarships for high school students with specific academic or personal interests or skills can be obtained through the College Board through the BigFuture feature and the scholarship searching tool FastWeb, both of which offer thousands of opportunities to explore. Regarding other types of college financial aid from state and national governments, students can visit the websites of the Arkansas Department of Higher Education at https://www.adhe.edu/ to learn about financial aid from Arkansas. Students can learn about financial aid from the national government through the website of the Federal Student Aid Office of the U.S. Department of Education at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/ and should fill out and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) quickly for colleges to which they are applying for a higher chance to receive more aid. Some colleges may also request that another financial aid form, the CSS Profile, be completed available from the College Board. In addition, some colleges offer their own opportunities for financial aid through scholarships applying to their school. Students can seek these by visiting the websites of the colleges to which they are applying or the college departments of their interests. Submission due dates differ between private and school scholarships, so it is advised that students set up a plan to stay organized as they complete their applications.

Austin Liu, News Editor, Reporter

I am currently a senior attending Fayetteville High School. Welcome to the official website of the FHS Register Newspaper and its publications!Besides...