Senior Letter

Laney Hoggatt (12) writes to future generations with advice on how to succeed in high school.

Laney Hoggatt, Co Editor-in-Chief

Dear current and upcoming underclassmen,

Having been in high school for four years, I have learned a fair share of things both inside and outside the classroom. I wanted to write this article to help those who are seeking help or advice on high school. Now, I am no expert, but each piece of advice comes from personal experiences.

My first piece of advice is to be a part of something- whether it’s a club, sport, or elective. I cannot emphasize how important doing this is. High school is not easy and throughout your years here, your friends change and you meet new people. Being a part of something helps to meet new people and to make new friends a lot easier. Even if you do not want to be involved in a sport, club, or extracurricular, go to school events like sports games, choir concerts or school plays. Through this, you at least are interacting with people from your school. I have been in the high school choir since my freshman year and newspaper since my sophomore year. Being a part of a club was so influential to me. First and foremost, it gave me a group of people that felt like a family to me. These people shared at least one hobby with me if not more. Being in these groups made a big school not be as intimidating. Second, I felt involved. I had several events through these programs which helped me be involved in the school.

For the most part, high school is nothing like the movies. Do not get me wrong, there are cliques and sometimes bullying but not typically to the extremes or extent that is portrayed in movies. Most rumors do not last forever. Sure, people hear or spread things but it rarely lasts more than a few days and once it passes nobody even remembers what the rumor was. Most of the ideas that people have in high school come from movies. These movies are exaggerated to get more viewers and popularity.

Be yourself. I know it sounds cheesy and is cliche but it is so true. I cannot stress the importance of being yourself. If someone does not like who you are then do not change for them. You most likely will not see these people after graduating so it is pointless to be someone you are not for four years. Besides, you will meet people that like you for you through being involved because by going to clubs or activities that interest you, you meet people that share those interests.

High school does not have to be the “best four years of your life.” Do not get me wrong, you can enjoy high school but you’re only a teen. You have so many life experiences ahead of you like marriage, starting a family, or finding a career you love. High school does not have to be the best time of your life. I like high school but I know when I get old and am asked about my best years in life, high school probably will never come to mind and if it does it will not be in my top ten.

It is perfectly okay to not know what you want in your future. Yes, high school is a place for you to learn and explore new things. However, you still have time. You can go to college and that gives you some more time to figure it out. Honestly, you do not have to know after college. Most adults are still figuring it out. High school is made for you to learn and explore possibilities in the future.

High school is an experience that is different for everybody. I still have to remind myself of this advice at times. High school is not always easy, but it is survivable. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.  Remember to be yourself and that high school is only for four years and you have so many years ahead of you.

Best regards,
Laney Hoggatt

Laney Hoggatt, Co Editor-in-Chief

I am a senior. This is my third year reporting and second year being an editor. I typically write features articles. I am the choir president and am in A Capella choir and Encore choir. In my free time, I enjoy writing, singing, and binge-watching t.v shows and movies. I spend most of my time with my friends and family. I love dogs and will definitely ask to see pictures.