ASMR is all the rage around the World

Emilee Wagner, Reporter

Soft whispering, light tapping sounds, and crunching food. All of these are triggers of ASMR. ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response and is becoming very popular all over the world. There are two types of ASMR sensations: the physical sensations, such as tingling and chills throughout the body, and the psychological sensations, such as euphoria, calmness, and relaxation. It is the exact opposite of the feeling people get when nails scrape against chalkboards.

There are several different types of ASMR triggers, a certain thing that makes you feel different sensations such as tingling and chills. ASMR triggers can be classified into two different categories: externally and internally initiated. Externally initiated ASMR triggers can be felt in person, such as hair touching, or it could be transferred ASMR, which consist of ASMR videos and podcasts. Internally initiated ASMR triggers are either self-initiated or unplanned and are things such as meditation.

Ink in motion, series of popular youtube videos, put in water and captured in slow motion. These videos are extremely popular and gain tens of thousands of views.

“Ink in motion is so satisfying it could put me to sleep.,” sophomore Lesedi Bgoni said. Bgoni also watches many other types of ASMR videos on Youtube. She watches things like clay ASMR, watercolor, art/drawing, cake glazing, Tiny Kitchen, and more.

Many students around FHS watch ASMR videos and get that tingly feeling. The term ASMR was first coined back in 2010 but the feeling has existed for a very long time. The ASMR community has been gaining a mass following in recent years, with some ASMR Youtuber’s reaching over a million, and in some cases over five or six million, subscribers. Bob Ross and his paintings, for example, can be considered ASMR because of his soft-spoken voice and the brush on the canvas. According to NBC News, Ross is sometimes called the “godfather of ASMR.”

There are many good things about ASMR as well besides the feeling. It has been shown that ASMR can help insomnia, depression, anxiety, and panic disorders. There isn’t a whole lot of research on ASMR but there are a lot of ongoing studies into finding out more about the feelings and benefits of ASMR.

Abdullah Ahdhamen, who is also a sophomore, says he enjoys “calligraphy/writing” videos. “My handwriting is bad in two languages,” Ahdhamen said about why he watches handwriting videos. He is fluent in Arabic and English.

There are so many different aspects of ASMR and the community is growing every day. So go ahead, put on some headphones, sit back and relax as you listen to the sounds of whispering, gentle tapping and more.

Emilee Wagner, Reporter

I am a first-year reporter. I am a junior and am currently in A Capella choir and Dawg Crew. I love singing and reading as well as writing. I love sports,...