Last male Northern White Rhino dies

Sudan with one of the guards.

Sudan with one of the guards.

CNN

CNN

Sudan with one of the guards.

Laney Hoggatt, Editor

The dinosaurs and the dodo birds are the most common species thought of when extinction is talked about. Most people are unaware of the numerous species that have gone extinct. The last well-known extinction was the death of the last West African Black Rhino. They were believed to be extinct in 200, but they were no officially declared as extinct until 2011.

On March 20, the last male Northern White Rhino, Sudan, passed due to age-related issues. He had been facing several health issues over the past month. According to CNN, his doctors decided to put him down to end his suffering.

There are two female Northern White Rhinos left, but it is highly likely that this species will go into extinction. Sudan lived in a Kenyan Conservancy called Ol Pejeta. He was protected from poachers by armed guards. According to Ol Pejita, researchers saved some of Sudan’s genetic material and hope that they can successfully artificially inseminate one of the two females to prevent the extinction of the species.

“He was a gentle giant, his personality was just amazing and given his size, a lot of people were afraid of him. But there was nothing mean about him,” said Elodie Sampere, a representative for Ol Pejeta, to CNN.

With the loss of Western Africa Black Rhinos and Nothern White Rhinos, there are only five species of Rhinos left on Earth. These five species are at large possibility of going extinct because of poaching.

The death of Sudan leaves the world wondering what to do to save the remaining rhinos. The problem these rhinos face is Poaching. Poaching is a serious issue and is popular because it is believed in Asia that a Rhino’s horn can various illnesses. These horns are sold in China, Vietnam, and African countries. The bigger countries like the United States can be blamed for the continuance of poaching. With their power, these powerful countries could easily get involved and attempt to slow down poaching. Most importantly, humans are the biggest factor in animal extinction because of the desire of animal products, hunting, global warming, habitat loss, and introducing exotic species. In fact, 99 percent of currently threatened species are at risk from human activities according to The Extinction Crisis. The crisis is so big that several stars have added their opinions on poaching and death of Sudan.

“We can only hope that the world learns from the sad loss of Sudan and takes every measure to end all trade in rhino horn. While prices of rhino horn are falling in China and Vietnam, poaching for horn still threatens all rhino species,” said WildAid CEO Peter Knights to CNN.

Laney Hoggatt, Editor
I am a second year reporter. I typically write Features articles. This is my first year being an editor. In my free time, I enjoy writing, singing, and binge-watching t.v shows. I spend most of my time with my friends and family.I am constantly asking to see pictures of everyone’s dogs because I am obsessed with...