Brands taking stands for Women’s History Month

Some McDonald's arches were turned upside down for National Women's Day.  Credit: https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a58625/mcdonalds-arches-upsidedown/

Some McDonald's arches were turned upside down for National Women's Day. Credit: https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a58625/mcdonalds-arches-upsidedown/

Lexi Sterling, Reporter

Starting in 1987, Women’s History Month takes place each year in the United States and is a month of celebrating significant women who have showed up and made major improvements for our country. The month includes International Women’s Day on March 8th, which is a day to applaud all women of all backgrounds accomplishing all ranges of things. The month is a special time for brands and companies around the nation to take stands and support women. From changing packaging to donating millions of menstrual products to girls in need, the following brands are making a change in honor of Women’s History Month.

Levi’s and Girlgaze:

Partnering together, Levi’s and Girlgaze have produced four films in honor of Women’s History Month called the #IShapeMyWorld series. The films were released on International Women’s Day, and each focuses on the story of a different woman.

The four films are explained and linked below:

1. “She’s Revolutionary”: telling the story of Tarana Burke, the founder of the #MeToo Movement.
  2. “#6”: following the life of the 15-year-old NFL game changer recipient, Sam Gordon.
  3. “Drum As You Are”: about the co-founder of the Rock n’ Roll Camp for Girls located in Las Angeles, Mona Tavokoli.
  4. “Jasilyn: Activist of the Land”: on the co-founder of the International Indigenous Youth Council, Jasilyn Charger.

Girlgaze is a digital media company with a mission “to support girls behind the camera”. Their goal is to make it easier for girls to be in the photography and directing industry. The company partners with many other companies, Gap and Warby Parker being just a couple of them.

L.:

L. is a company by women for women. The company produces period products that are organic and contain few ingredients. Founded by Talia Frenkel, the company says, “We believe that personal care products should leave you happy and healthy, with karma on your side.” For every L. product bought, one is donated “to a female entrepreneur in a developing country”. L. strives to make sure that all girls have access to their necessities.

For Women’s History Month, the company is donating 60 million menstrual products to girls who need them. Many girls can’t afford these products, causing them to have to miss school and work for days at a time each month. L. is helping girls be able to control their periods and have an education at the same time.

Stacy’s Pita Chips:

The PepsiCo-owned company Stacy’s Pita Chips has released a new design on their packaging for a limited time during the month of March. All three different designs were created by women with the goal to honor women around the world for Women’s History Month. The press office gave this explanation of the designs: “The mouths represent how women are speaking out to celebrate each other, the lion illustrates women’s ferocious tenacity to advance the equality movement, and the single word unstoppable underscores how far women can go when they support each other.” This month, PepsiCo is also making a donation to Step Up, which is a mentorship organization for girls.

Image result for stacy's pita chips women's history month design

Lexi Sterling, Reporter
While aspiring to be a political journalist, I proudly report for the FHS Register for experience and opportunity. I am a sophomore and I am also on Student Council and the Varsity Dance team.