New principal candidate to be recommended to school board

2016 Nebraska Secondary Principal of the Year to Join FPS Leadership Team

Dr. Jay Dostal will, pending board approval, begin his position as FHS principal on July 1, 2018.

From the FPS Department of Communications:

Superintendent Dr. Matthew Wendt will recommend Dr. Jay Dostal to the Fayetteville Board of Education to become the new principal of Fayetteville High School. Pending board approval at their meeting later this evening, Dr. Dostal will begin his new position July 1, 2018.

“I am thrilled to have Dr. Dostal join the Fayetteville Public Schools family,” said Dr. Matthew Wendt. “Dr. Dostal is an award-winning leader who brings with him a demonstrated ability to lead a comprehensive high school, collaborate with staff to improve academic achievement, and develop meaningful relationships with others, especially staff, students, and families. He had an immediate and positive connection with our students, faculty, staff, parents, and community members involved in the interview process.”

Dr. Dostal currently serves as the principal for Kearney High School in Kearney, Nebraska, a position he has held since 2010. Previously, he served as assistant principal for Millard North High School in Omaha, Nebraska, from 2006 until 2010. Prior to that time, Dr. Dostal was a teacher of English and Physical Education, assistant coach for varsity and freshmen football, and assistant coach for varsity and jr. varsity girls basketball at Millard West High School in Omaha. Dr. Dostal and his wife, Melanie, a special education teacher, have two children, Brenna, a 9th grader and Mason, a 6th grader.

“My family and I are excited to begin a new chapter in Fayetteville,” said Dr. Dostal. “I am incredibly honored to join the Bulldog family. As principal, I am committed to helping Fayetteville High School continue its tradition of being the best high school in Arkansas, but also to become one of the best high schools in the nation. Working together, I am positive that we can accomplish this and be a continued source of pride for the community of Fayetteville.”

Dr. Dostal is the recipient of the 2016 Nebraska State Association of Secondary Principals (NSASSP) Principal of the Year award, as well as the 2013 National Association of Student Councils Principal of the Year award. He is a College Board member delegate for Kearney High School and serves as an adjunct professor at the University of Nebraska-Kearney.

“There is no one who has dedicated more of their personal and professional time in an effort to make a positive contribution to students, teachers, and our school system,” said Dr. Kent Edwards, Superintendent of Kearney Public Schools. “Jay has always maintained the highest level of professionalism. He is collegial and consistent in his rapport with all internal and external stakeholders. I recommend Jay at the highest of levels.”

A former college football student-athlete, Dr. Dostal earned his Bachelor of Arts in education degree from the University of Nebraska-Kearney. He earned both his Masters of Science and Doctorate of Education in educational administration degrees from the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

“I would like to extend a very special thank you to our FHS staff members for identifying the qualities they desired in their next principal,” said Dr. Wendt. “My gratitude is offered as well to the numerous members of the community, our parents, students, and district leadership that gave of their time to serve on screening and interview committees.”

“We researched and recruited the best leaders available and interviewed five outstanding candidates for FHS principal. We have hired our number one choice, Dr. Jay Dostal,” continued Dr. Wendt.  “Dr. Dostal will be an exceptional principal for Fayetteville High School.”

Fayetteville Public Schools plans to arrange with Dr. Dostal to work a select number of days in the coming months as he transitions to Fayetteville.