Rise of the purple walls

Rise of the purple walls

Over Thanksgiving break, several purple walls made from plywood were placed all around the school. These walls covered anywhere in the school that had rock masonry. Students were unaware of the reason for these walls, so in typical fashion, rumors began to spread. The most common one was that a student was hit by a falling rock and told her parents who filed a lawsuit against the school. However, this is only a rumor.

“There is no lawsuit,” superintendent Matthew Wendt said. “It was reported that a stone or portion of it fell and grazed a student’s arm and as soon as the district was told we took action.”

Despite rumors to the contrary, the truth is that a student was hit in the arm by a brick and told a teacher. The teacher then reported it to the administration who called the construction company. Nabholz was the company that built the school. Luckily, the school was still under a warranty, so the repairs are not expected to cost the school anything. Both the repairs and the plywood were paid by Nabholz.

“We have had no expense and I can also let you know that we will not have expense because the building is within the scope of warranty,” Wendt said. “So right now we are not concerned about spending a dollar, that’s not going to happen.”

Nabholz hired several subcontractors to help repair the walls. One of the subcontractors that was hired was a chemist. The chemist was hired to run several tests on the glue to see why it is not holding the rocks to the wall.

“Once we know what happened or the reasons why the stones started to fall off the walls, we will be able to then assess what we are going to do,” Wendt said.

The construction plan will not quite be set in stone until the test results are revealed and the construction company and administration know the problem. The administration hopes to be able to start the repairs in the spring and be done at the latest, before the start of the 2018-2019 school year.

“When you have that kind of support [from the district and the community], I don’t think that there is anything that cannot be addressed,” Wendt said.