Analysis: putting a ring on it

Class+rings+of+Arkansas+Tech++University+and+Arkadelphia+Highschool.+
Class rings of Arkansas Tech  University and Arkadelphia Highschool.

Class rings of Arkansas Tech University and Arkadelphia Highschool.

Lauren Vernon

Lauren Vernon

Laney Hoggatt, Editor

Recently, juniors were given a presentation over class rings. The presenters argued that students would be missing a huge opportunity if they did not purchase a class ring. However, the presenters never mentioned a price until the very end. The cheapest ring was 300 dollars. This leaves students wondering if it is worth it to buy a class ring.

Class rings have been around since 1835. They have been a big part of graduating high school. The rings serve as a memento for the memories people made in high school. They were bigger in the past, but the popularity of rings have strongly decreased in the 21st century.

Most ring sellers state that the price is because of the rings last and so you are basically making an investment, but I would be investing in a ring that I would never wear and probably lose. within a year. Yes, they have warranties for if I lose the ring, but what is the point of purchasing a ring that I would just have to keep replacing. I understand that making a ring is expensive, but that is a big investment.

I understand that people buy these rings as a way to remember their years at high school, but there is also the yearbook or just pictures. With a yearbook, you still spend money, but it’s four times cheaper. I could buy a yearbook every year, freshman to senior, and have four books filled with pictures of every student, club, and elective through my years at high school or I could buy a ring with a limited amount of engravings for the same price. I understand that people like to have items as a way of remembering something. I personally am like that, but I am not willing to spend a large sum of money on a small ring.

These rings were popular in previous generations. However, we are in a time where technology is a significant part of society. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 71 percent of teens use more than one social media site. Social media is a way to spread pictures of things they have done. This is also free.

With free social media and better deals for getting something to remind you of your high school years, it is not worth spending a ridiculous sum of money for a high school ring.

Laney Hoggatt, Editor
I am a second year reporter. I typically write Features articles. This is my first year being an editor. In my free time, I enjoy writing, singing, and binge-watching t.v shows. I spend most of my time with my friends and family.I am constantly asking to see pictures of everyone’s dogs because I am obsessed with...