Review: Bright

Critics rave over the Netflix original

Critics rave over the Netflix original "Bright." from Netflix.com

Taylor Tames

Taylor Tames

Trinity Davis, Writer

Set in a modern time, with modern people, and a modern plot, director David Ayer, and writer Max Landis stir the audience and critics. Loyalty is tested, integrity is questioned, and both Characters, officer Ward (Will Smith), a human, and Officer Jakoby, an orc, must work together to protect the one thing that everyone seems to be after: a magic wand.

According to rottentomatoes.com summary of Bright, “…two police cops from very different backgrounds… embark on a routine night patrol that will alter the future of their world as they know it.”

Related image

Picture via twitter.com @onlyfilmmedia

To go into detail, several scenes in the movie explain how the world is split in many more ways than half. According to the movie, the social hierarchy is split up into three main classes, then into sub-classes for each class. Starting with the highest class– Elves–they run everything almost like modern-day government. The middle class are humans– they make up the police force, any official government agency-fairy hunters to the “magic FBI”, and the working class. Last, there is the lowest class: Orcs. They range from poor sharecroppers to street vendors and low wage employees.

The magic wand in Bright is kind of like freedom in the real world. Everyone is after it, yet there is only one. The wand can grant wishes and bring people back to life, but the only catch is anyone that is: those who are not brights will burn their hand off if touched. Human cops and the only Orc that will turn against his own for the greater good have to put their differences aside to protect the wand. Gang members, corrupt agencies, and evil elves want the wand and will stop at nothing to retrieve it.

Since there are so many mixed reviews, one can agree that the movie is controversial in its own way. The movie’s aspects are interpreted differently, not because of the director and screenwriter, but because of time it was released, the time we live in now. The movie portrays scenes that are experienced every day by some, but it also shows scenes that some have never experienced.

A range of critics expresses their opinions about the movie. Rottentomatoes.com critics, to sum it all up, say the movie is a waste of time, money, and creativity. Critic Fico Cangiano said, “there are some great ideas inside of this sea of mess. Entertaining, yet crashed on execution.”

Bright is a movie with a poor depiction of racism, prejudice, and life itself. With scenes such as officer Ward living in a highly urbanized area with the irony of a cop living in a crime infested neighborhood. Then there are multiple scenes of officer Jakoby being belittled, as the minority outside his community, and as a betrayer of principle inside his own community. Yes, the movie lets its audience know that the world is not so black and white, but, unfortunately, the movie fails to express every aspect.

On the contrary, rottentomatoes.com critic Emily Gaudette, from newsweek.com said, “… the movie delivers a unique if imperfect two-hour distraction. Here are four reasons to ignore the haters and fire up the weirdest buddy cop movie since Turner and Hooch- Orcs with attitude, This is the will smith we deserve, Dialogue you can laugh at, and with, Villians that actually scare you. The creative minds of David Ayer and Max Landis came up with a plot that has a different take on modern-day problems, “The script…[is] both serious and self-aware.”

All-in-all, Bright is the realistic movie that everyone has been looking for, but some scenes do not represent the events they stand for properly. The comedy is over the top hilarious and the crime is mediocre, but the plot sets a good tone that will get the audience wanting to watch.

Trinity Davis, Writer
I am a Junior. I am involved in PDS, Volleyball, and Dance. I am The Register’s Social Media expert in charge, a reporter, and photographer. My Role Model Is Chance The Rapper