The Frigid Homefront

Taylor Tames

FHS student Madeline freezes outside of school before class begins, in 15*F weather.

Gavin Kuncl, Writer

Recently, the eastern United States was hit with a tremendous snow storm. Temperatures dropped to lows that were astounding and record-breaking. The storm brought freezing conditions, high winds, 18 inches of snow and flooding in coastal regions. The frigid weather burst pipes at the Boston Medical Center and broke a water main at the JFK airport, causing countless delays, layovers, and cancellations. The affected region stretched from Maine to West Virginia to Florida, all the while smashing temperature records.

Burlington, Vermont fell to minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Minus 37 degrees Fahrenheit was recorded at the Mount Washington Observatory in New Hampshire, making that area one of the coldest places on the planet. Wind chill was recorded at minus 93 degrees Fahrenheit. The cold blast claimed more than two dozen lives.

More recently, the blast of winter weather has turned towards the south. Now the area affected by the wave of frigid temperatures stretches from Maine to Texas. This has put portions of 23 states and more then 70 million people under winter weather alerts. On Tuesday January 16, snowfall combined with the unsavory weather shut down Bentonville and Rogers schools while touching one degree Fahrenheit, and on Wednesday January 17, fellow students endured four degrees Fahrenheit or -16 degrees Celsius. The rest of the week is also predicted to continue the less than ideal weather.