Recognizing the highly achieved and their history-changing great impacts

By Photograph: en:User:Anubis3Medal: Gustav Vigeland [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html), CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) or Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons

Austin Liu, News Editor, Reporter

For many of the modern and past leading figures working hard in different studies in the fields of art, literature, history, science, mathematics, philosophy, politics, music, economics, psychology, and much more, the act of winning the astonishing and impressive prize recognized around the World such as the Nobel Prize is such an enormous joy and pleasure to achieve. Each year, a small group of some of the most famous figures representing categories available for being considered for the award of peace, literature, physics, physiology or medicine, chemistry, and economics is carefully chosen out of many other significant figures to travel to Stockholm, Sweden to receive the award observed by many attending the ceremony and around the World. It is one of the challenging goals for a person during their life to stand up from their seat after being recognized by the presenter of the award, confidently walk the exciting path to the stage in front of the large crowd sitting inside the massive hall, and hold up the award as they absorb the feelings and thoughts of the moment from this achievement.

Regarding the background information on this well-known award, the online Encyclopædia Britannica states that the origin of awarding specific people with the Nobel Prize began from the idea of “Swedish inventor and industrialist Alfred Nobel” who “instructed that most of his fortune be set aside as a fund for the awarding of five annual prizes ‘to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind.’” written in his will in 1895. These five original categories in which a person could be nominated for the award were in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Peace. The first of these annual Nobel Prize awarding ceremonies were held on December 10, 1901, The last additional prize category for Economic Sciences was included for recognition by the Bank of Sweden starting in the year of 1969. Along with these categories established for this award, Nobel wished that “four different institutions—three Swedish and one Norwegian—should award the prizes.” These three based in Stockholm who continue to award this prize were the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences who manages the presentation of the Physics, Chemistry, and Economics prizes, the Karolinska Institute who presents the prize in Physiology and Medicine, and the Swedish Academy who awards the prizes in literature. The Norwegian organization, the Norwegian Nobel Committee based in Oslo, performs the awarding of the prize to those chosen in the category of peace.

The Encyclopædia Britannica website states that the process of choosing who will receive the Nobel Prize “begins in the early autumn of the preceding year when the prize-awarding institutions invite more than 6,000 individuals to propose, or nominate, candidates for the prizes. Some 1,000 people submit nominations for each prize, and the number of nominees usually ranges from 100 to about 250.” Many of those who are nominating the winners of the award for that year are those who won a Nobel Prize in the past, significant scholars from each of the six different fields set up for the award, and those working at top universities and academies around the World. These people “must supply a written proposal that details their candidates’ worthiness” which is sent “to the Nobel Committees on or before January 31 of the award year.” Following that date, the six Nobel committees for each of the categories of the award begin to decide who will receive the award later that year with the help of some experts to reach the final choices. After a few months of this process in September and early October, “ the Nobel Committees have accomplished their work and submit their recommendations to the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and the other prize-awarding institutions. A committee’s recommendation is usually but not invariably followed. The final decision by the awarders must be made by November 15.” One condition of the award is that the prizes may only be presented to individuals, except for the Peace Prize which can be received by an organization. Another for the awarding of the Nobel Prize is that “official support, whether diplomatic or political, for a certain candidate has no bearing on the award process because the prize awarders, as such, are independent of the state.” In some cases, the Nobel Prize may not be presented a certain year because of the situation of the World not allowing for information to be accessed to reach a strong decision or if there is no person who can be found that would meet the requirements to win the award. Also, the prize may be presented “more than once to the same recipient” and “ the ceremonial presentations of the awards for physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature, and economics take place in Stockholm, and that for peace takes place in Oslo on December 10” each year where “the laureates usually receive their prizes in person, and each presents a lecture in connection with the award ceremonies.”

Those famous in history for winning the Nobel Prize include Chemist and Physicist Marie Curie who was awarded the prize two times with one in Physics in 1903 and the other in Chemistry in 1911, Curie’s husband, Pierre Curie, who was awarded the prize in Physics in 1903.  26th President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt was awarded the prize in Peace in 1906, author Rudyard Kipling who was awarded the prize in Literature in 1907, and Chemist Ernest Rutherford who was awarded the prize in Chemistry in 1908. The International Committee of the Red Cross was awarded the prize in Peace in 1917 and another time in 1963, 28th President of the United States Woodrow Wilson was awarded the prize in Peace in 1919, Physicist Albert Einstein was awarded the prize in Physics in 1921, Physicist Enrico Fermi was awarded the prize in Physics in 1938, and Author William Faulkner was awarded the prize in Literature in 1949. Politician and Author Winston Churchill was awarded the prize in Literature in 1953, minister Martin Luther King Jr. was awarded the prize in Peace in 1964, poet Pablo Neruda was awarded the prize in Literature in 1971, and biologist Barbara McClintock was awarded for the prize in Physiology and Medicine in 1983. Others were Former President of South Africa Nelson Mandela who was awarded the prize in Peace in 1993, Former Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan who was awarded the prize in Peace in 2001, Promoter of Education Opportunities Malala Yousafzai who was awarded the prize in Peace in 2014, and many more.

Just less than two weeks ago, the annual tradition of recognizing the new winners of the award for that year continued on December 10 in the Stockholm Concert Hall in Stockholm, Sweden and in the Oslo City Hall in Oslo, Norway where both King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and King Harald V of Norway where attendants in the ceremony. These 12 figures and organizations who were presented the Nobel Prize this year were the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons organization based in Geneva, Switzerland who was presented the prize in Peace, author Kazuo Ishiguro of the United Kingdom who was awarded the prize in Literature, economist Richard Thaler of the United States who was awarded the prize in Economic Sciences, physicist Kip Thorne of the United States who was awarded the prize in Physics, physicist Rainer Weiss of the United States who was awarded the prize in Physics, physicist Barry Barish of the United States who was awarded the prize in Physics, Joachim Frank of the United States who was awarded the prize in Physics, Richard Henderson of the United Kingdom who awarded the prize in Chemistry, Jacques Dubochet of Switzerland who was awarded the prize in Chemistry, biologist Michael W. Young of the United States who was awarded the prize in Physiology and Medicine, biologist Michael Rosbash of the United States who was awarded the prize in Physiology and Medicine, and biologist Jeffrey C. Hall of the United States who was awarded the prize in Physiology and Medicine. The World community remembers these people as significant figures in their contributions to progressing change forward for society and for being leaders in their fields for generating inspiring developments that will result in more progress from those who are and will study the field. Wishing all the luck to those who will be considered for receiving the Nobel Prize this next year!

Austin Liu, News Editor, Reporter
I am currently a senior attending Fayetteville High School. Welcome to the official website of the FHS Register Newspaper and its publications!Besides being a staff reporter of the News section for the newspaper, I am also a copy editor for that section for the first time this year. This is my third year on the...
1 Comment

One Response to “Recognizing the highly achieved and their history-changing great impacts”

1. Lauryn on December 28th, 2017 2:39 pm

Good job Austin!

• Recognizing the highly achieved and their history-changing great impacts

News

Swim team participates in Arkansas Children’s Hospital fundraiser

News

Journalists upset over new law

News

British Parliament terrorist attack

News

Arkansas midterm candidates compete for votes

News

Trump Defense Bill, military spending

News

High school prepares for new organizational structure

News

New lung cancer treatment doubles survival time

News

Facebook Data Collection

News

Train safety still issue for Fayetteville residents

News

New gun control laws making progress in state legislatures