Freshman shines spotlight on local musicians

Blue Brasher, Reporter

Freshman Ted Hammig is bringing a spotlight to local music. He sets an example of how anyone, no matter what age, can make a difference. He had an idea, took initiative, and started his own radio show called Music Makers where he interviews local musicians from Fayetteville. It airs Sundays at 5 p.m. on KPSQ, 97.3.

Hammig’s mother is friends with the wife of Joe Newman, the manager of the station, and Hammig got the idea to start a radio show. In order to get a spot on KPSQ, applicants must submit an audition show to the station. In 2016, Hammig got a friend of his, Jerry Stahl, to be a guest and sing on the audition tape. The station got back to him and let him know that he got the spot. In Jan. of 2016, he started taking recording training classes. Finally, that July, the show aired for the first time.

Throughout the year and a half that Hammig has been doing the show, he has met many different artists. He has interviewed a variety of musicians, all with their own original style of music. It is important to Hammig to share these unique voices.

“This show is a way to make their music more accessible to the Fayetteville community, Hammig said.

He is always on the lookout for talented and interesting artists; even when he’s at the Farmers Market, his ears are open for the next spot on Music Makers. Artists interested in being on the show and bringing a spotlight to their music can email Ted Hammig at [email protected]

Hammig has always been passionate about music and expresses his drive to start the radio show.

“I think music is one of the most important things in the world. Music has the power to make change in the world,” Hammig said.

He believes that music can let people speak their minds with a universal language.

“Music is an essential part of any movement. It gives everyone an anthem,” Hammig said. “Everyone has a voice in music because it’s something everyone can understand.”

Everyone knows that feeling, hearing a song and just being overwhelmed with emotion. Music is an amazing way to communicate a message or a feeling, and Ted Hammig is utilizing this power in Fayetteville. It is important to support local artists and foster the community, and Hammig is taking a big step to make that happen. In Hammig’s eyes, music is very powerful, and is essential, and he is working towards sharing this power with the world.

This is a reminder for students to take initiative in the things they feel passionate about. For Hammig, it was bringing light to local music.

So, this Sunday tune in to KPSQ, 97.3 at 5 p.m. to listen to some music and learn about local artists. If students are interested in starting their own radio show, they can submit an idea and audition for a show at http://kpsq.org.