• 2nd and 3rd final -- Dec. 20

• 5th and 6th final -- Dec. 19

• 1st and 4th final -- Dec. 18

• 8th and Zero B final -- Dec. 15

• Last day of school -- Dec. 21

• Fire Drill -- Dec. 13

• Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook @fhsregister

Player to watch: Rosana Hicks

Ani-ya Beasley, Editor

She breathes in, then out; sweat beads her forehead as she watches the ball come over the net. Without any hesitation, she leaps up and strikes the ball down into the opposition. Hearing the crowd ringing in her ears, she pounds her fist and feels proud of what she has done.

To Rosanna Hicks, this is a weekly experience. Being the youngest player on the Varsity Volleyball team, a freshmen, she is already starting to make a name for herself.

I have always liked it. It has been a part of my life for so long.” Hicks said.  Hicks started playing Volleyball four years ago. “My mom’s side of the family really loves volleyball. I tell people that I was basically born at the Bud Walton Arena because I have been there my whole life.”

Hicks practices every day from 2:30 to 4:30, earning a near hitting percentage of .197 and up to 167 kills, both of which are above the national average.

“As they say, I know its cliché, but practice makes perfect and I love practice so much. I mean, it offers other bonding time that we may not get to have on or off the court, and it helps me a lot.” she said. “If I messed up on something in a game the night before, I want to go back into the gym and work on it over and over again until I can have some kind of mastery of it.”

During an interview a year ago with the captain of two years, Ella May Powell, Powell mentioned playing for the people around her. Hicks followed up with this answer by mentioning feeding on the energy of the crowd and her teammates. “I feel powerful; I feel the best that I can do at that time, and the best I can give is awesome.”

Anyone who has watched the team whether it be during a game or practice sees the chemistry they all have together. It is one of the many things that people notice most about them; even when they are losing, they still have smiles on their faces and support one another.

“It is mostly just the girls.” Hicks said when asked about the best part of the team. “Me coming in as a freshman with the seven or eight seniors that we have, they could’ve ignored me and put me aside and tried not to help me, but they have really become some of my really good friends. And I love them so much.”

Hicks graduates in the 2020-2021 school year and plans to continue playing all through her high school career. With players like Ella May Powell and Haley Warner leaving this year, the team seems to be falling into the right hands.