Living paycheck to paycheck

Women+have+been+advocating+for+equal+pay+since+1970.+
Women have been advocating for equal pay since 1970.

Penn state article "All Men (And Women) Are Created Equal"

Trinity Davis, Reporter

Sports are an interesting activity that keeps the blood rushing and stakes high. They have dated back as far as 760 BC when the first Olympic Games were recorded. From then to now people have enjoyed both watching and playing sports. Athletes are some of the biggest figures in our society. Many adolescences and adults look up to the top names in sports from LeBron James to Jessica Washington in basketball to Serena Williams and Roger Federer in tennis. Although each of these athletes is highly respected in sports, does their pay reflect that equally between a man and a woman?  Whether you watch basketball, tennis or soccer, each event brings in a different pay gap between males and females.

The pay wage gap is the average difference between a man and a woman’s pay. Financially athletes are not treated the same. One could say that the reason why females are not earning the same as their male counterparts is that majority of the population does not attend female sporting events. According to CNN Money, in the 2015 World Cup, the women’s team won $2 million while the men’s team finished in 11th place and collected $9 million. The women’s team may have been the winning team, but the men won more money. This is unacceptable because the winner is traditionally rewarded more. Because of this situation and many others like it, female athletes from different sports teams have been taking action.

According to Newsweek.com‘s article titled Taking a Closer Look at the Gender Pay Gap In Sports by John Walters; Carli Lloyd, a female soccer player from the USA team, was joined by her fellow teammates to file a complaint demanding equal pay for equal work. In the article Walters says  “On the surface, the USWNT is both far more competitive on the pitch and far less compensated than… the USMNT.”  The women’s team has won three world cups while the men’s team hasn’t won any, yet if the men’s team were to win the minimum of 20 games they would earn $263,320 and if they lost any of those games they would still earn $100,000.

Another female advocate for equal pay is Serena Williams. In a NYTimes article, it states that tennis has been cited as a leader in gender equality among all major sports.  According to Newsweek.com tennis is the most profitable sport for female athletes and the most gender-equitable, but athletes such as Serena Williams experience the pay gap too. According to Forbes Serena Williams is the only female in the top 100 world’s highest paid athletes this year. Although it might be seen as a privilege to be listed on the Forbes list she is still paid less than her peers.  Serena Williams earned $236,000 less than her fellow player Roger Federer for the Southern and Western open; which is the worlds largest hardcourt tennis event.  Sports have a big effect on our society today and with an issue such as gender pay equality, there can not be a successful message to portray.

According to USA Today’s article by Sheryl Sandberg, women make up 40% of our workforce. Most women try to bring in enough money to support their families and the pay gap makes things a little bit tougher when women have to work at multiples jobs just to earn enough to aid their families.

Although the pay wage gap has lessened over the years there is still a significant difference. If men and women are doing the same jobs, working the same hours and giving the same effort then there should not be a disagreement about how much money is being earned.

Athletes are role models, they inspire and motivate all people to do their best. Being our best means equality for all no matter the race, color, ethnicity, or gender, we all should be treated equally and this same aspect remains when it comes to our pay. Athletes hold prestigious positions in society, and equality is something that we all strive for as a nation and therefore the gender pay wage gap should be diminished.

Trinity Davis, Writer
I’m a Sophomore. I Have Been Involved In Journalism For 3 years. My Role Model Is Chance The Rapper