The return of Taylor Swift

Billie Firmin, Editor

Pop icon Taylor Swift has released a new single and her sixth studio album, “Reputation”, is scheduled for release on November 10th.

This will be her first album release since 2014.

In the three years since the release of 1989, her fifth studio album, Swift has been at the center of much controversy, and her new single “Look What You Made Me Do” seems to reference her feud with rapper Kanye West.

The two artists have been actively engaged in a feud for several years now, which heightened last year with the release of West’s single “Famous” which refers to Swift in vulgar language.

Swift’s public relations team said that she had never approved the lyrics, while West claimed he had permission. The issue was disputed for several months, until West’s wife Kim Kardashian West released videos of a phone call between West and Swift regarding the song’s lyrics, where Swift thanked West for asking her permission before releasing the song and explicitly gave her permission to him.

Since the incident, Swift has kept a relatively low profile, until August 21st, when she released short videos on her Instagram account of a snake, which led to fans speculating the release of new music.

The opening lyrics are “I don’t like your little games/Don’t like your tilted stage/The role you made me play/Of the fool, no I don’t like you”.

West notably had a tilted stage on his recent tour, Saint Pablo, and the font used for Swift’s new album is the same that West used for his Saint Pablo merchandise.

In the third verse of the song, Swift sings “I don’t trust nobody and nobody trusts me/I’ll be the actress starring in your bad dreams”. This may allude to the fact that after Swift was proved to be lying about West’s lyrics, the media and music fans began referring to her as a “snake” and untrustworthy.

Swift seems to be shedding her old skin and emerging as a new artist with this new single. The track is unlike any of her other songs, with the lyrics being much darker and almost aggressive. Swift comments on the idea of her redefining herself in the lyric “I’m sorry, the old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now/Why?/ Oh, cause she’s dead”.

The music video for the single debuted at the MTV Music Awards on August 27th and featured Swift as a zombie, lording over snakes, and holding Grammy awards after a car crash.

Billie Firmin, Editor

I am a third-year opinion writer and editor. My hobbies include but are not limited to hiking, reading, and political activism.

1 Comment

One Response to “The return of Taylor Swift”

1. Julia Woodward on September 27th, 2017 12:58 pm

Billie—-you are AWESOME

The return of Taylor Swift