• 2nd and 3rd final -- Dec. 20

• 5th and 6th final -- Dec. 19

• 1st and 4th final -- Dec. 18

• 8th and Zero B final -- Dec. 15

• Last day of school -- Dec. 21

• Fire Drill -- Dec. 13

• Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook @fhsregister

2017 Spring sports preview

With the winter sports concluded, or in the process of wrapping up, it’s time to look at what’s coming in sports as spring begins.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Ibby Ogden and Cypress Oury

Baseball – After earning an 18-15, 7-6 record in conference play last season, the ‘Diamond Dawgs’ head into their second season under head coach Scott Gallagher. As of now, the team has a 1-4 record. The team recently played at Fort Smith Southside Mar. 7, at home against Bentonville Mar. 13 and then at Bentonville Mar. 14, but these game results are currently unavailable. The team next goes to Phoenix, Ariz. for the Pride Classic Mar. 20 to Mar. 23.

The team recently began its season with the Collin County Tournament in Allen, Tex. Mar. 2 to 4, in which they went 1-4. Mar. 2, they lost both games against Rockwall-Heath, 2-7, and Allen, 2-3. Next, they split the two games they played Mar. 3, first losing to Frisco, 4-7, and then beating Boyd, 5-1. Finally, the Bulldogs finished up the tournament with a 1-7 loss Mar. 4.

The program has accumulated seven state championships over the course of their history in 1960, 2003, four straight from 2006 to 2009, and in 2013. However, their conference championships are more numerous, thirteen, winning back-to-back in 1998 and 1989, 1997, 2001, 2003, 2005, four straight from 2007 to 2010 and three straight from 2013 to 2015.

Basketball – the girls’ basketball team recently won their seventh state championship game in Hot Springs over North Little Rock with a score of 59-49 and finishing with a record of 30-2. The other years the girls have won the state title are in 1979, back-to-back years in 1993 and 1994, 2009, 2011 and 2013. They are coached by Vic Rimmer, who is in his fifth year at FHS.

Softball – The Lady Dawgs finished the 2016 season with a 7-18 record, 5-8 in conference play. This year, the softball team is at this point 2-2 under head coach Jason Shirey. Their next game Mar. 16 at home against Bentonville West with a first pitch of 5:00 p.m.

The Lady Dawgs had begun their season Mar. 2 with a 12-1 victory at Siloam Springs. However, they then fell at home against Farmington Mar. 3 with a score of 1-13. Mar. 10, they earned their second win in the first round of the Siloam Springs Panther Invitational against Harrison, 5-2. Most recently, the team fell to Bentonville at home, 0-17.

While only winning two state championships in back-to-back years in 2006 and 2007, the program has won conference championships in six straight years 2004 to 2009, and then in 2011 and 2013. The softball team began their season Mar. 2 at Siloam Springs and then had their first home game Mar. 3 against Farmington.

Soccer – The boys soccer team won one state championship, in 1999; while the girls have won five state championships, four straight from 1998 to 2001, and again in 2010. Their seasons have recently begun, the boys at this point 3-3, while the girls have procured a 5-2 record so far.

The boys began their season Mar. 3 and 4 with the Fort Smith Tournament. Mar. 3, the Bulldogs lost to Bryant, 0-0 in regulation and 4-5 in the Shootout Round. Then, Mar. 4, the boys beat Maumelle, 3-0. After finishing the tournament, the boys went to Gentry Mar. 7 and pulled off a 7-0 victory, followed by their third consecutive win with a 2-0 home victory against Dardanelle. However, that streak ended Mar. 15 with a 0-2 home loss against Bentonville. The team next hosts Bentonville West Mar. 16, the game beginning at 7:30 p.m.

On the flipside, the girls are in the midst of a winning season. This began with the Fort Smith Tournament, beating Northside, 4-0 Mar. 3,  Bryant, 2-1 and Cabot, 2-1 Mar. 4. Then, the girls went to Gentry Mar. 7 and grabbed a 9-3 win before heading off to the Harrison Tournament. Mar. 10, the girls suffered a 0-4 loss at the hands of Cabot, but got a 1-0 win the next day against Maumelle. Returning home, the girls lost to Bentonville, 0-1. Their next game is at home against Bentonville West Mar. 16 at 5:30 p.m.

The teams are coached by Joe Thoma, who is also an assistant football coach and has been at FHS for 13 years.

Track & Field – After completing the indoor season, the outdoor season began Mar. 2 by hosting the Y-Timing Invitational. The Fayetteville track team won the Girls’ 1600 Meter Run, Boys’ 300 Hurdles and Boys’ 3200 Meter Run. Then, the team competed in the Whitey Smith Relay in Rogers Mar. 10. Both boys and girls placed first in the 3200 Meter Run, 4X100 Meter Relay, Discuss, Shot Put and Triple Jump. The girls placed first in the 100 Meter Dash and Long Jump, while the boys placed first in the 400 Meter Run, 4X800 Meter Relay and Pole Vault. Finally, before Spring Break, the track & field team goes to Gravette for a field meet Mar. 16.