Repaint-Revive Fayetteville

Spray paint over the hate

Repaint-Revive Fayetteville

Fayetteville Flyer online photo

Fayetteville Flyer online photo

Fayetteville Flyer online photo

Maddie Hart, Reporter

Following the 2016 presidential election, Fayetteville’s streets, buildings, walls, and bridges were plagued with spray-painted racial slurs and feelings of hatred and fear.

As an artist, Olivia Trimble saw this as an opportunity to share a better message. She decided to spray paint over these controversial messages with sayings such as “love always wins” and “share something beautiful.” She developed this effort into an organization and titled it, “Repaint Hate.”

Olivia shared her process for coming up with the idea for Repaint Hate with The Register.

“Repaint Hate was created after I had heard about some vile hate speech that had been spray painted on City Hospital. I read about it on Facebook, and then got dressed as fast as I could, jumped in the car, and covered it with the first phrase that came to mind: “Love always wins.” I posted it on my Facebook page, and it got a lot of attention.”

Others were out within the next day, covering hate with love.

Trimble said that she was not expecting the response, but people started sharing it, and her friends advised her to “to find a way to harness that attention in a way that was positive and helpful.” After a friend quickly set up a website, and another friend quickly made a logo, word definitely got around. Her art was viewed by people around the nation.

Fayetteville is known for its art, having recently installed multiple public murals. Trimble had an idea of other ways art could be used to send a message politically.

“We have so many opportunities to impact the world around us through art.” said Trimble. “Through songs, poetry, street art, fine art, zines, novels; we have so many ways to express ourselves and share that with others. Making something and then putting it out there can be hard, but the impact can be huge!”

Olivia’s public Facebook has gained over 3,000 followers on Instagram, and her website has thousands of comments. She acclaims this fame just to “word of mouth and social media.”

People have lots of opinions, rage and joy about this election. A main goal for Ms. Trimble was spreading some love.

“One of the most important things we can do is remember that it is up to every one of us to stand up for what we believe in, we can’t rely on somebody else to do it for us.” Trimble said. “When you see something that’s wrong, or you see someone treated badly, speak up right then. Don’t wait to take action, don’t hope that someone else will do it. Reach out to people that might be having a hard time, or that you’ve dismissed in the past. Our connections to others and the sense of community that we have here in Fayetteville are so important.”