New York University student quarantine meals

Elizabeth Atchley, Writer/Social Media

The COVID-19 pandemic has taken a toll on America in all ways of life, one of them being the 2019-2020 school year, which was cut short. But finally, after 5 months of quarantine and summer, schools are beginning to reopen this fall for the 2020-2021 school year.

New York University (NYU) for example has recently welcomed their students back on campus, however, the students are required to complete a two-week quarantine period in their dorms prior to starting classes. The students were told that they would receive three meals a day in their dorms during their quarantine period, but as seen in recent videos on the app TikTok, that promise was humorously unfulfilled.

According to NBC News, NYU student Nautica Nolden and many others were provided inadequate meals during their quarantine experience at strange times of the day. For example, on Nolden’s first day of quarantine, she received all three “meals” in the evening. On TikTok, multiple students feature videos showing off their “nutritious” food items, including a lemon, pieces of lettuce, and chicken salad as their “vegan” meal, mentioned in The New York Times. Once the students’ complaints multiplied and social media users became aware, news sources interviewed students about the food.

NYU has since then acknowledged the issues with the meals and changed their food options accordingly. In addition, they also gifted students with Grubhub gift cards, allowing $30 per day of quarantine for meals.

As we continue life during this pandemic and head back to school, it is likely that many things in our day-to-day lives will be affected. With that being said, however, I don’t know if I would ever consider a whole lemon part of a meal.