Darkside dominates Dust Bowl

Carla Brown

Darkside Ultimate Frisbee

Cole Peterson, Sports Editor

Cole Peterson The defense is set by Kele Estes-Beard, Grady Gottschalk and Asa Cox as a Booker T. player makes the throw.

Ben Morgan throwing a flick pass to a teammate.

Darkside is the ultimate frisbee team for Fayetteville High School. It is made up of upperclassmen who practice twice a week. The team is co-captained by seniors Ben Morgan and Isaiah Brown. This past weekend (Feb. 22/23) the team took 12 players to Tulsa, OK for Dust Bowl, a college tournament. After pulling some strings, Morgan was able to get a few teams from across the Midwest together for a high school division.

Darkside finished with a 4-1 record, after beating Booker T. Washington High School (Tulsa OK), Solis (KC MO), and Highland Park (Dallas Texas). Their lone loss came in a forced championship game against Highland Park when the weather threatened to cancel the second day of games. FHS finished with a better record, and through technicalities won the tournament. Brown was happy with the team’s performance and overall excited to see what comes next.

“As a team and as a co-captain I was very happy with our results. We finished with a 4-1 record and competed with full effort every game,” Brown said. “Co-captaining with Ben is very beneficial for the team because he knows the X’s and O’s better than anyone else I’ve ever met, and is obviously very talented.”

Up next for Darkside is the Indy Invite in April. While the team prepares for Indianapolis they are working out logistics

Cole Peterson
Isaiah Brown dumps a pass to Asa Cox in their first game against Booker T

for The Royal Experience, a tournament in Kansas City. Morgan hopes that KC will help them gain more experience because it is hard to find other high school ultimate teams to compete against in the area.

“Dust Bowl was great it really gave us our first opportunity as a team to see other high school teams. It’s a struggle sometimes to find other high school teams especially in Arkansas that are willing to travel and play,” Morgan said. “I was really happy with the way we played as a team, I feel like we learned a lot and it was good for the team chemistry to get some wins.”

The future is bright for Darkside, and they hope to get some more momentum heading into their final month of preparation for Indianapolis. This next month is really important to them, as it is the last chance to fix any problems with techniques, perfect their game plans and get into shape.